Thursday, October 2, 2008

Ear training epiphany

I downloaded an app to my iPhone called Karajan Beginner. It's a free app from the Apple App Store that does ear training in interval, chords, scales, pitch, tempo and key signatures.

I've been doing intervals, and I really, really suck at it. Currently I'm 153 right and 124 WRONG.

At one point during my constant beating over the head with the little red wrong "X" popping up, I realized something.

I've always heard Perfect Pitch referred to as something you had. You know like an innate talent or skill. As I nearly wallowed in the self pity of "not" having it - I realized that the truth is different. It's not an innate skill. It's just what you know.

I noticed as I got more and more repeats of the same note intervals, I got better. Because I had been exposed to them before and knew them. That's how you get Perfect Pitch - you listen critically to a hell of a lot of pitches. Over and over until they are old friends.

No mojo. No magic. No genetics. Just listening and learning. So if your practicing is getting you down because you can't play like Leo Kottke yet - don't get down depressionwise. Get down practicewise. Keep plugging.

It will come to you.

No comments: