Tuesday, October 21, 2008

In love with my Mac Mini

Okay if it was a girl. It would be the kind of girl that you treat with respect. Like Teal (another story).

The Mac Mini has proved to be one of the smartest things I did. I got the screen calibrated last night so at last it looks as beautiful as it works. I am thrilled with the simplicity of it, the small footprint (ignoring the power brick of course) and the Mac OS. I used Macs many, many years ago. I started on Macs and being a visual person the "Dock" is much smarter to use than the Windows Vista counterpart.

The Mac comes loaded with "lifestyle" software to manage photos, music, and movies. It also comes with email, web editing and calendaring. When you add OpenOffice 3.0 (now native to the mac) or just use Google Docs online - it's a complete info worker workstation. I also added a simple paint program called Scribbles which is a lot of fun (though not entirely useful). The biggest drawback I've found is just one screen. I've gotten kind of spoiled by my two computer, two screen PC command center - but when I think about what it's doing for the juice it's pulling - it's pretty clear I'm being a bad Earth Citizen.

At some point we have to examine ourselves and not just fill our life with being critical of others.

When I did that I saw wild excessive consumption and I think what I do is meager compared to some.

I do like the idea of reducing, and reusing. The Mac Mini will allow me to downsize my entire setup.

I bought the bargain basement Mac Mini (because I was originally only going to use it for GarageBand). You can get one here.

Apple Mac mini MB138LL/A (1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB Hard Drive, Combo Drive)

No comments: