Saturday, October 4, 2008

Forsythe Whitfield at The Plug


A while back I was talking to a lovely lady about blues musicians in Second Life. She was adamant I check out Forsythe Whitfield. So much so she made me join his group (ahhhh a precious spot given up to someone I've never even heard). Well the universe hiccoughed (or burped) and I happened to be on when I got a notice to go see Forsythe at a place called the Plug. Well I could hear FW before I could see him and he was ripping out a tasty version of Johnny B. Goode - a song that should be so done by now - but he had marinated it in his one man blues band style and it was sounding damn good.

I walked into the Plug and for the first time in a long time, I felt like I had walked into a little live music joint. Layed out smart and loaded with ambience the Plug had a palpable vibe of good times. I mean a cool little venue. Remind me I want to play there when I finally get off my ass and do it.

As for Forsythe, he was definitely worth forcing someone to join a group for. You can check him out anytime at his myspace page. But I recommend signing up for his group which is unambiguously named the "Forsythe Whitfield Fan Club".

FW plays to what can only be custom made backing tracks and it sounds great. He sits behind a drum kit and fingers his resonator. Come on down and ask that lady over there if she wants to dance - you know her partner don't play anymore.




1 comment:

Honour McMillan said...

I'm so glad you went to hear him! And I'm even happier that I was right. :)