Saturday, October 11, 2008

Welcome to "So You Think You Can Sing" the Home Edition

I got the studio up and working. So now it was time to lay down some tracks. Ran into some problems with using a Microsoft PC style keyboard with a Mac like there not being a Command key (I have to research the mappings, but I'm leaning toward a Mac keyboard). Ran into a much bigger problem.

I can't sing. Yet.

I mean I can sing, I have for a long time. But when it's just my voice on a recording studio track, it's a bit of a splash of cold water to hear it standing out by itself - warts and all. I missed tons of notes. So one more thing added to the todo list, need to do a little research on the right way to sing.

The thing that seemed the worst was trying to do covers because I was trying to "knock off" the original. That seems like a huge mistake because everything that isn't like the original is "wrong". So I made a mental note to work up all the covers Catfish style. Make them my own. Bend them to fit my voice.

I do understand that a lot of it - is working with it until I get it.

After telling so many folks in sLife that I was going to perform this month, I'm thinking now I'll have to take a more realistic assessment. I think a realistic time frame may be April of next year.

Peace.

No comments: